About Huawei in the UK
Huawei's UK headquarters was established in London in 2001 and moved to Basingstoke in 2003. Huawei UK are relocating to Reading in April 2013.
In 12 months, Huawei has gone from a little-known white-label manufacturer to a technology leader in the UK consumer market. In 12 months, Huawei has gone from a giant behind the scenes of the industry to an exciting brand bursting onto it – on to high streets, into homes.
Huawei currently has 650 employees in the UK. The company is proud of its multicultural workforce and is committed to attracting the best local experts to join the company in the UK - 70% of its current employees were recruited locally. This year Huawei announced plans to double its UK workforce over the next three years to 1,000 workers.
Huawei has received an excellent response from the market, and will continue to expand its investment in the UK in the coming years. Key partners include BT, Vodafone, Everything Everywhere: Orange & T-Mobile, O2, Three / Hutchinson 3G, TalkTalk, Tesco Mobile, Virgin Media, Sky and Techdata and 20:20 sales distributors, amongst many others. By the end of last year (2011) Huawei invested over £150 million into the UK.
Huawei UK is focused on providing end-users with a seamless convergent telecommunications experience anytime, anywhere, and via any terminal. As such, it offers a range of next generation end-to-end telecoms and IT network solutions to mobile and fixed line operators and providers of enterprise networks. The full product portfolio includes wireless products, core network, application and software products and terminals. Huawei UK Enterprise Solutions also exists to provide the wider UK enterprise market with a data communication product portfolio, supported by a traditional partner network and offering customers a real choice in the market.
- Huawei Technologies UK to relocate to Reading, UK
- Huawei 'built' the UK's first 4G network, and is among the first to market in the UK with 4G products, all with EE.
- Huawei amongst the first to market with TalkTalk, a YouView hybrid STB, which uses both a TV aerial and an internet connection to transmit a broad range of digital, catch-up, on-demand and premium TV content – all subscription-free!
- Huawei delivered better value and tech for the masses in the 'established' (3G) UK Smartphone market. The popular Ascend G 300 with Vodafone, has embodied this commitment, as a bestselling Android handset on prepay, since April.
- UK advisory board established
- Huawei signed contract with Everything Everywhere to upgrade its 2G network
- Held first UK & Ireland service partners convention
- UK Internal Audit Centre of Excellence opened in Basingstoke
- Huawei signed up SDG and Micro-P as Huawei Enterprise distribution partners
- UK Cyber Security Evaluation Centre opened in Banbury
- Huawei announced a successful live trial of LTE with Telefónica O2 UK in Slough
- Huawei signed a strategic partnership agreement with Vodafone
- Huawei joined the Prince's Trust in order to support the British youth
- Huawei and Vodafone introduced the Vodafone-branded V710 3G handset
- UK customer training centre opened
- UK R&D and Technical Assistant Centre established
- MSAN and 21CN contracts with BT signed
- Huawei became an approved supplier for Vodafone's Global Supply Chain
- Huawei Technologies UK relocated to Basingstoke, UK
- Huawei Technologies UK established in London
- Huawei won the Global Telecoms Business Innovation Award for its collaboration with both Aero2 and Vodafone in the wireless network infrastructure and business service categories
- Huawei won the Global Telecoms Business Innovation Awards for its work with Vodafone on a green base station, its work with BT and its work with TalkTalk in developing a cost-free contestant voting system
- Huawei received the Femtocell design and technology innovation award at the 2010 Femtocell World Summit
- Huawei received The Economist 'Corporate Innovation' Award
- Huawei awarded the 'Boldness in Business' prize by Financial Times
- Huawei awarded Global Telecoms Business Innovation Award for outstanding performance in BT's super fast broadband deployment 2010
- Huawei awarded 'Vendor of The Year' by Total Telecom
- Huawei awarded Global Telecoms Business Innovation Award for innovative Software Development Kit together with BT
- Huawei awarded 'Best in Class 21CN Solution Maturity, Value, Service and Innovation' award from BT
- Huawei won Global Telecoms Business Innovation Awards for its excellent performance in the BT Ebbysfleet FTTP pilot project
- Huawei won Global Telecom Business Awards for its excellent performance in BT's 21CN project
- Huawei awarded '2007 Development Achievement' by the Chinese Embassy, UK
- Huawei UK was named Chinese inward investor of the year 2004